10 Amazing Layered Hairstyles For Curly Hair
Attention, attention! All you curly haired ladies out there, listen up. Because I’ve got some news for you that will change your life. News that will make maintaining your curls so much easier. News that will make your appointment at the hairdresser’s that much less stressful. Are you ready? Okay, here goes…
The best haircut to sport to maximize the definition of your curls is a layered cut. The gradually increasing lengths of different sections of your hair allow your curls to bounce around in their full glory, making them look exactly the way you dreamed of.
Though I would always recommend getting your hair cut only by a professional hairdresser, I totally understand if you would rather just do it yourself at home. If that’s what you want to do, then I’ve got you covered, pretties!
How To Cut Your Hair In Layers At Home
What You Need
- Hair brush/wide toothed comb
- Hair elastic
- Scissors (specifically made for cutting hair)
How To Cut Your Hair
- Start off with damp hair (but not overtly wet) as this is when your curly hair is the straightest.
- Brush/comb out all the knots and tangles from your hair. This is super important because any knots left in your hair can make your layers turn out uneven.
- Bend your head forward and flip your hair in front of you.
- Staying in this position, tie all your hair into a ponytail right at the apex of your forehead. The hair elastic should be a couple of inches away from your head.
- If you want to go for subtle layers and leave your hair long, slide your hair elastic down until there are only a couple of inches left in the ponytail. If you want shorter, more drastic layers, slide your hair elastic just a few inches down and leave a major part of your hair in the ponytail.
- Hold your hair elastic in place and cut off your ponytail in one even line from under it. Make sure that you are not cutting your hair at an angle as this will make your layers lopsided.
- Remove the hair elastic and check out your layered hair.
- If you see any uneven sections of hair, trim them out to put finishing touches on your new haircut.
Curly Layered Haircuts And Face Shapes
There are a bunch of ways you can go when styling your layered haircut, all of which depend on your face shape. I know, I know, this whole face shape concept may seem elusive to a majority of you. So, to make your life easier (because I’m nice like that) I have done my research and found the best curly layered haircut you can sport based on the shape of your face. You’re welcome.
- If you have a round face, a long bob with subtle layers that end right at your jawline will give your face a little more elongated effect.
- Boy, are you in luck if you have a heart shaped face because there are a ton of layered cuts you can experiment with. You could try out out a short layered pixie if you’re going for an edgier look. Or you could go with long even layers with straight or side swept bangs to create a more adorable hair look.
- A short cropped bob with layers that end just at the chin works great on oval/oblong face shapes because it lends softness to an otherwise sharp facial structure. Another great layered style you can sport is long, evenly cut layers with a side swept fringe.
- If you have a square face shape, you could go for a layered bob with some subtle bangs or long subtle layers right at the ends.
- Well, now that you know how to cut your own hair in layers and which style will suit your face shape the best, let’s jump into my top picks for styling your curly hair in a layered cut.
1. Layered Super Long Bob On Kinky Curls
Having super long hair with kinky curls can be quite a literal pain in the neck. So, to reduce the weight on your head and to give your gorgeous curls a chance to unfurl in all their glory, go for a layered super long bob that is oh-so-easy to style.
Carrie Bradshaw has been a style icon for the modern woman for years now, and for a good reason. She absolutely nailed the layered cut for her wildly texturized curly hair and how! Her long evenly cut layers parted down the middle make for a perfect hair look for a woman living life in the fast lane.
3. Drastic Layers On Beachy Waves
Joan Smalls sure knows how to serve some serious ~looks~ when strutting down the runway. If you have long and lazy wavy hair like hers, here’s a cut that will suit your brilliantly. Go for drastically staggered layers that will add more definition to your waves and give them that extra bounce.
4. Layered Bob And Bangs On Kinky Curls
When you’re taking hair inspiration from Alicia Keys, you’re taking hair inspiration from the best. To make the most of the oodles of volume of her kinky curls, she went for a short layered bob and subtle curly bangs to create this afro-ish hair look.
5. Uneven Layers On Tightly Coiled Hair
A great thing about a layered cut is that there are a ton of ways in which you can experiment with it. You could, for instance, do what Zendaya did and go for haphazardly cut uneven layers on your tightly coiled curls and leave your length long to create this wild and carefree hair look.
6. Shoulder Length Layers On Low Curls
Does your hair do that strange thing where it’s straight on top and curly at the bottom? If it does, then you’re one of those very few lucky ones on whom a layered cut looks marvelous. Just go for some shoulder length layers to allow your low curls to unfurl beautifully and create this stunning hair look.
7. Shaggy Layers And Curly Bangs
If a girl-next-door look is what you’re going for, then this is a haircut you definitely need to try out. First, get shoulder grazing layers cut into your big spiral curls. Then, finish off your cutesy look by cutting some of your front curls into bangs that end right at your brows.
8. Messy Layers On Long Ginger Curls
One thing that all these boho chic girls on Instagram seem to have in common is long curly hair that cascades down their back. Recreate that magical look by cutting your ginger curls into long messy layers that require little to no time to style.
9. “Barely There” Layers On Thick Curls
A big fear that many curly haired girls have about getting their hair cut in layers is that they’ll lose their volume. Well, let me tell you, a good layered cut will combat this problem swiftly. If you have thick curls, get your hair cut in subtle layers that look like they’re barely there and part your hair on one side to create this gorgeous natural look.
10. Stepped Layers On Bouncy Curls
If you are blessed with big bouncy curls and are on the lookout for a good haircut to show them off, check out this style. A stepped layer cut separates curls and allows them the space to bounce around uninhibited. Swoop you curls down on one side of your face to give off a mysterious vibe.